This pizza casserole will not disappoint!
Since I try to stay away from dairy I substituted the mozzarella cheese with Daiya vegan mozzarella and I omitted the Parmesan. I also couldn’t find low carb pasta sauce so I did the best I could and settled for a no sugar added.
Macros per serving
12g carb (9.6 net carbs)
14 ounces Cauliflower florets, cut into bite-size pieces
½ teaspoon Salt
2.5 ounces Pepperoni
2 pounds Italian Sausage
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
8 ounces Mushrooms, sliced
1 Green Pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
12 ounces Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1.5 cups Low Carb Pasta Sauce, we use Rao’s Homemade Marinara
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, powdered
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1. Steam the cauliflower. Place cut cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl with 1 cup of water. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Don’t overcook!
2. Drain the cauliflower. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 4. In a large skillet over medium high heat cook the Italian sausage. When the sausage has finished cooking drain the excess fat. Set aside.
5. In the same skillet add olive oil and saute mushrooms over medium high heat for 10 minutes to remove the excess water. Set aside. 6. Prepare a 13×9 inch casserole dish by spraying it with non-stick spray then spread ½ cup of pasta sauce on the bottom.
7. In a large bowl add the cauliflower, cooked sausage, mushrooms, and green peppers. Toss together until well mixed.
8. Spread ½ of the mixture in the casserole dish. Top with ½ cup of pasta sauce, followed by ½ of the pepperonis and finally 6 ounces of mozzarella cheese.
9.Next spread the remaining toppings mixture over the cheese followed by the pepperonis (save 10 slices for the top of the casserole), remaining ½ cup of pasta sauce, and 6 ounces of mozzarella cheese.
10. In a small bowl mix together the Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
11. Sprinkle the Parmesan mixture over the casserole and top with 10 slices of pepperoni.
12. Place in oven and bake for 30-35 min.